Tuesday 31 December 2013

Inconsistency (& fear?), The constant enemy of progress

                      


                 

I have achieved many things throughout this year ranging from graduating, starting a blog and entering the world of work however it is with the things that I have started and not finished (like my blog) that I will focus.

 

Whenever we commence a new job or a new journey in life, we are filled with a sense of achievement and are encouraged by the endless opportunities that exist along that way. As time goes on, we get distracted and occupied; we set aside the pursuits that bring us joy and a sense of peace. Even with our God given pursuits we can fall short as a result of many pressures both negative and positive. Joseph Addison’s said “... Inconsistency with ourselves is the greatest weakness of human nature”.


Since I can remember I have been an avid artist and I've always had a love of all things creative. In my earlier years, I was absorbed with producing my own pieces with dreams of one day presenting my work. As time and age has increased it seems I have set these pursuits aside getting pre-occupied with the pursuit of education which in itself is a very great asset. So while, I don't advocate the “New Year New Me” attitude, I aim to walk into 2014 the same person but with a renewed mindset and an attitude that speaks to planning and seeing these plans to fulfilment; hoping to use my 24hrs to the fullest. Not setting aside one pursuit for the other but ensuring continuum and symmetry.

Yes! Life’s journey offers us constant change, detours along the way are to be expected, a few brief pauses; however this does not mean we stop but rather evaluate our position and press on. 


I had the great pleasure of not doing so well in my as-levels (I can say that now). I was inconsistent with my studying which led me to achieve below what I was/am capable of. What this major event in my life taught me is that inconsistency should have no place in your journey. This brief pause in my life pushed me to work harder and constantly encouraging myself by visualising exactly where I wanted to be at the end of the journey. 


Strife and anguish, have proved to be something of a springboard to success to some of the most respected men and women the world has ever known. In their pain some would say they were at their best. In the words of Sigmund Freud “Out of your vulnerabilities will come your greatest strengths”.


                                                      PAIN/DISAPPOINTMENT 

 

Pain, (while not necessary for growth) can be quite powerful as a tool for character building. Never ever should we build people or situations up to the point where when we are disappointed it taints our mind set and perception of life.

 

There have been instances this year where I have let the actions and opinions of a minute few dictate the pursuit of my God given purpose. The danger of meditating on these disappointments is that they begin to metastasise, infecting other aspects of our lives.

 

If Nelson Mandela a man who was not perfect in himself, had let the disappointments he faced alter his mindset would he have made such an impact on the world. If Martin Luther King had chosen to keep quiet because some would not accept his beliefs would segregation still be alive and well? 

 

I am by no means saying these men and others like them achieved these feats alone. They were part of a progress fraught with fear and disappointments. Instead of retreating, backing down or questioning, they used fear as a driving force for great achievements.

 

In 2014, do not let pain, disappointment or inconsistency rob you of your drive. Take a brief pause, learn your lesson, dust yourself off and continue on your hustle, we must always remember... “Failure is the Fog through which we glimpse Triumph. Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm”. Winston Churchill.

 

                                              HAPPY NEW YEAR Until Next Time

                   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment